Monday, September 16, 2024

Summum bonum ~ Monday, September 16, 2024

If I were younger ... such is not the case
forget Wittgenstein ... by now, he's long dead

I am just body ... no duality

were I twenty-five ... awareness in place
each day I wake up ... I write down my dreams
read and write and sleep ... Oblomov in bed
each day I study ... mortality

youth is not wasted ... but the best-laid schemes
of enticed children ... ends up in a hole
underground, hidden ... the bodies in piles
needless senselessness ... whatever the goal
granted, rhetoric ... now I run for miles
each day that I rest ... energy I store
rest until I work ... exhausted, what more

sit and meditate ... drop off not drop out
until body fades ... drowning, grasp at straws
challenged by the smoke ... extinguished candle
haunted by the past ... grotesque water spout

if I were older ... and, yes, not dead yet
sycophantic bores ... suffer Plato’s Laws

never a stranger ... untouched by scandal
open up her box ... double entendre
tempted by the fruit ... the irony, bet

tell me, Socrates ... what is emptiness
hold the door open ... good morning, rejoice
engulfed in the fire ... welcome readiness

clasp the necklace shut ... sterling silver voice
as the case might be ... visit Szentendre
sentence St. Andrew ... crucifix saltire
each day in Scotland ... the end of Empire

No comments: