Thursday, July 11, 2024

Alien Citizen ~ Thursday, July 11, 2024

As the song, "Born in the U.S.A.", plays
silently, I rage inside with sorrow

the decades spent in this country, the fact
how I got here, to what purpose, it stays
empty, my lack of pride, lack of pleasure

silently, I seethe with rage, beg, borrow
or even steal, if to take what I lack
nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go
given two legs, I run to seek treasure.

Born in Bombay, millions I left behind
over and over, we moved, place to place
remember nothing, memories turn blind
nowhere is home, family is my disgrace

if alcoholism were a game show
not that I would ever know, now you see

the reason I studied philosophy
how I needed to make sense of childhood
emotional and sensitive, no good.

Until I became an adult, all grown
Sugar was sweet, I was beat, I was blown
Away by California girls, the years

passed, I grew up, I grew old, I shed tears
lonesome, an alien, a citizen
after my father died, a simpleton
yes, these words I string, a popcorn necklace
still, poor, no business sense, this room, my space

No comments: