Wednesday, March 13, 2024

On the Sly ~ Wednesday, March 13, 2024

After the first hit
from that date, I could forget
there was no way out
even just to sit
recognize the need to breathe

transcend all regrets
how to escape, shout
each morning like a rooster

feel under the sleeves
if to run away
resolves nothing, to stay home
say less, as they say
this road leads to Rome

how inside, I must not stir
in high school, I broke
their trust as I toke

forgotten days, high on weed
remember the drugs
only getting stoned
made me see myself, the need

to run away, twice
how the lack of hugs
alcoholism deboned
that family, I wish

drunk, what must suffice
alcoholism, I scream
to the rooftops, now
each night when I dream

I must tip the sacred cow

count myself a fish
of course, I can swim
under the surface, the sea
limited by sound
despite being slim

for I could never gain weight
or drink enough tea
rest, I now have found
gives me energy later
each day, the fader
tracks height, each hand, sleight

No comments: