Saturday, March 9, 2024

Papa Kitty ~ Saturday, March 9, 2024

One night, while running, I saw a black cat
not necessarily crossing my path
except, like a child, seeking attention

night after night, I run mile after mile
in training for the marathon, to run
gives me the self-esteem to face each day
however tough it gets to get ahead
to keep my head above water and swim

while others drown in drugs and self-neglect
however much I care or want to help
in fact, I cannot even help myself
let alone a city in desperate need
even if I could open the flood gates

running gives me a chance to clear my head
under duress, I crack like a brown egg
now why didn't I say like a white egg
not that it matters, what's on the inside
informs us of nutritional value
not the shell on the outside of the egg
given this analogy seems puerile

I face each day by feeding that black cat

seen while running along the Lakefront Trail
and another tabby cat whom I saw
whining beneath a car as I walked past

as I stopped to check in to ask for help

but, of course, they both willingly obliged
little did they know they'd be indoor cats
attended to as if they were my kids
challenged to procreate, I failed in life
kiss the world goodbye, I love my two cats

case closed, so to speak, I ask for nothing
ask maybe for your time and attention
to listen to my thoughts on life and love

No comments: