Thursday, April 4, 2024

Tropes ~ Thursday, April 4, 2024

Mom made me go to sleep sucking ginger
old folk wisdom to cure a cough and cold
made me suck ginger root against my cheek

memories to share the middle finger
as co-dependent enabler, she made
dysfunctional decisions, nothing bold
everyone united, a weak front week

me and my older brother, we don't talk
everyone for the best, farewell I bade

ghosts as shades in Hades, in paradise
otherwise they suffer with me, no fun

talk is cheap, family the worst, roll the dice
okay, walk away, craps, too bright, the sun

suffer the consequences, take a walk
leave it all behind, California, dreams
enter the underground with a sick man
exit without Virgil, without the screams
perhaps beyond this world, there is a plan

suffer the little children as they weep
underneath the wicked man is the light
circumstances, an unattractive man
keeps to himself, he thinks his liver hurts
if I knew as a child why life is cheap
nothing to hurt a child or to delight
grievously in harm, I am the other

grief is my strength, I overcome, like Kurtz
if to exterminate all the brutes gives
no insight but the horror, the horror
guide me past all the lies, the truth, it lives
even thrives inside the hidden, terror
resolves the imbalance, thank my mother

No comments: