Thursday, September 27, 2018

Dreams ~ Thursday, 27 September 2018

I was born in Bombay before they changed the name

When I was three months old we moved to Middlesex
after three years we moved to Kew Gardens in Queens
since flight controllers worked in towers at airports

Boy howdy you could find my dad working his shift
only I was too young to visit the tower
restricted from children under this tall to ride
never did I visit his place of work to see

If the planes flew better because my dad worked there
nobody took the time to tell me how stressful

Boy how my dad worked shifts day and night night and day
only I never saw him happy around us
my brother and I were unwanted distractions
bed to sleep for night shifts during the daylight hours
ask two boys and their friends to keep quiet they learn
yes we learned how my dad had a rotten temper

Boy how did I survive childhood after we moved
eventually to Southern California
for here in paradise my father found his ship
on the inside of rum bottles for this was home
real life nobody knew what happened in our house
even my closest friends didn't know the abuse

Take an alcoholic and his Catholic wife
hold two children hostage until they want to leave
even now I wonder why I'm such a failure
yet still while I struggle to succeed to finish

Creating each poem line for line step by step
how my life turned around after each big success
after college marriage divorce I still survive
no one in my family talk with me anymore
grateful to my girlfriend who sees me chase demons
even if the only way I'll ever be rich
depends on my winning the lottery as fate

Throws stones at unworthy sinners until they die
however I run mile after mile just to reach
each small goal to enter the Boston Marathon

No one will ever know what happened in our house
as my family denies any knowledge of facts
made-up as in stories they say that I tell lies
even in poems I speak truth to ignorance

No comments: