Thursday, September 27, 2018

Nostalgia ~ Thursday, 27 September 2018

I was born in Mumbai before they changed her name

Wishful thinking I could have stayed in India
as if I had a choice as a newborn infant
silly rabbit tricks are for kids not dumb babies

Baby baby baby you sure made a big noise
on the day you were born as if the world revolves
round you with riots in Greenwich Village you took
New York City's finest by storm the boys in blue

Indeed didn't know what hit them the gay parade
no one ever knew of now run the streets in June

Maybe if I were born elsewhere to someone else
under circumstances I could control myself
maybe if I weren't born to archers of the sky
born to shoot their arrows to chase after their prey
after a better life for their children two sons
ignorant of better or worse as foreigners

Baby baby baby you knew nothing of home
ever since you were born nobody seems to care
from where you hail from what distant land you travel
only to mark you as foreign an immigrant
remember your father and mother and brother
even when they give up on you in your ventures

Take a chance on the son of immigrants who care
honestly not a lick for their renegade son
evidently too much trouble as a black sheep
yes little firestarter you stole you lied point blank

Criminal from the get go in the eyes of parents
held to higher standards as if from Nairobi
as if from the old world from the mother country
nobody in Kenya met the prodigal son
guaranteed to succeed or fall flat on my face
ever since my father passed away my mother
decided to make clear I was not worth her time

How do I find my way back to the promised land
endlessly I wander the earth in search of peace
remember to scatter my ashes in the sea

Nobody in Goa remembers this devil
as this devil cannot remember his homeland
maybe if I return to suffer culture shock
even the nostalgia will dissipate with time

No comments: